Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Homeschooling Concerns Resolved

I recently wrote about our choice to homeschool, but I had much more I wanted to share so I split it into to two posts.

Here's part two where I share my initial concerns now resolved.

What if she hates it?

What if, what if... there will always be the "WHAT IF'S". But if we don't give something a shot we'll never REALLY know. We've been homeschooling now for four weeks and I've noticed such a difference in my daughter and even myself. The other day before bed, Lily said, "this was the best day EVER". We didn't even do anything that spectacular in my opinion. She got to go to a class at the library with other homeschoolers, we checked out some books, went home, did some school work together, made Halloween cookies, then read some of her library books. I was surprised that all day she didn't even ask for a friend to come over. That's major for her.

I don't want to be the one solely responsible for her education...

"We can educate as easily as we breathe simply by remaining fully present to our children's questions and enthusiasms
-Free Range Learning, by Laura Grace Weldon
This quote helped me relax a little and let go of the unnecessary expectations . I'm realizing that teaching my daughter what she needs to know is really not that difficult. There are so many important things I can teach her just in our day to day lives.

Lily doesn't like to listen to me...

Surprisingly she listens to me more than I thought she would. As I've been reading about homeschooling, I'm learning better ways of approaching the whole thing . Also learning to be more patient and to seek out the best way my daughter learns. It's a process, but I'm enjoying it and recognizing my own personal growth as we go about this journey together.

She loves school and is incredibly social. She'd hate being home all the time.

Another surprise is that she has not mentioned school once. I really thought this was going to be an issue. I try to plan an outing at least every other day. Like I said before, there are many different classes and activities offered to homeschoolers, and I take full advantage of that, which I think is what keeps my daughter happy.

What if she misses out on important social interaction...

That's just not possible with Sean and I as her parents :) We are both extremely social people and believe that making friends and meeting new people is very important. We get out among people plenty and I schedule playdates for her a few times a week. It just takes a little effort but it's not impossible for your children to socialize with other children when homeschooled.

Everyone will think I'm weird...

Well there's nothing I can do about that other than try not to worry about what people think and just focus on the reasons I chose to do this.

We'll be the only ones in the neighborhood doing it...

Sometimes that's just the way life is. We need to do what we feel is right for us and our own families, even if it seems to be unpopular.

Lily will be left out and won't get invited to birthday parties and playdates...

Once again, it just takes a little effort. I try to keep her interacting with all the little girls in the neighborhood by planning regular playdates with them.

I'll never have time to myself...

Not true. We still have quiet time, which used to be nap time in our house, but both kids have sadly grown out of that. They know that "quiet time" is mommy's time to herself, or these days with the pregnancy it's nap time for MOM :).

It will be too stressful, especially trying to do it with more than one child, I don't think I'm patient enough...

I'm sure it's not going to be easy all the time, but that's just life. We're meant to have challenges in order for us to grow, and patience will be something I'll probably become very good at...

one day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment