Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Dancing Is Not For Everyone


I once was a dancer…

No really, I was pretty amazing in fact…

Okay, who am I kidding. I’ve never taken a dance lesson in my life, which is why I wanted to tell you a little story about my experience with DANCING.


Being a ballerina is probably something most little girls dream of becoming when they grow up and I was definitely one of those girls.

We grew up really poor so I didn’t have the opportunity of taking any dance lessons when I was young. But I’d still spend afternoons dancing around my front room, pretending I knew what I was doing.
When I entered into Junior high I got to take a dance class in school, which ended up being more of a joke than anything. 
P.S. I'm not even in this picture. It was a pretty common occurrence for me to miss school, and this happened to be one of those days I missed :)

I still remember the full body leotard I wore each day. I actually met one of my best friends in that class, and boy does she love to remind me of that ensemble.

Oh and lets not forget the time I tried doing a tour jete.  

My feet slipped right out from underneath me and I landed flat on my face. As soon as I hit the floor all eyes were on me with the crash of my body on the floor echoing throughout the auditorium.  My teacher tried to act concerned but I knew she was holding back laughter.  My friends weren’t afraid to let it all out, they laughed about it for days. In fact they still laugh about it when we talk about Mrs. Crowly’s dance class in 8th grade.

It wasn’t long before I learned my lanky chicken legs weren’t meant for dancing. Graceful was not how I’d describe my techniques. I remember having to do a solo at the end of the quarter as part of our grade. So I decided to embrace my awkwardness and express myself in a way no choreographer would imagine. My teacher and classmates stood in awe as I performed my solo to Mariah Carey’s “Emotions” song. 

You’d think I would have given up on dancing after this.

Nope.

The summer before my sophomore year I learned of the Pep Club tryouts going on at our high school.
Don’t know how it happened but I made it on the squad, which to be honest really isn’t saying much.

Basically the Pep Club is for all the cheer leading wannabe’s. We got to wear the cheerleading outfits and all, which was really all I cared about, but we were only allowed to cheer in the stands. We did get to have our 5 minutes of fame during half time as we performed on the field for all to mock.

I took pep club very serious…


As you can see I was always on task and knew each and every cheer.

After football season I decided that was enough for me, in other words I was only in it for the fun. 

So I quit and never looked back.


No comments:

Post a Comment